Saturday, November 8, 2008

First RE appointment

Our first RE appointment went very well. I felt like I might throw up the entire day just waiting for this appointment. The doctor took all of our information and looked through my records as my husband and I sat there waiting patiently. At one point, I looked up at some the degrees, licenses and awards on the wall and saw one for "Gynecological Investigation." I practically busted out laughing right there, but it helped some of my nervousness and tension to go away.
After he had checked over everything, he simply said that he was sorry we have had such a crappy year, but it is good that they have found these problems and pretty soon we will be sending him pictures of our healthy baby. He went through the complete list of recurrent miscarriage testing and I was surprised to find that we have already completed most of it.

There are 5 different categories of problems they look for and he went through those with us.

1) Coagulation Defects - Since we know that I have hetero Factor V Leiden, we don't have to worry if I have any other problems in this area. Treatment would be the same for all of them, so we are not doing further testing in this area. I will need to take baby aspirin and do Lovenox or Heparin injections for this problem.

2) MTHFR - I have one gene mutation for this and will be treated with a very high dose of Folic Acid before and during pregnancy.

3) Uterine Problems - He wants to make sure I don't have a uterine septum and I will have to do a sonohysterogram next week. He explained a septum as a problem that arises when the two tubes that come together to make the uterus (before birth) just don't form together perfectly. If a pregnancy implants on this part of the uterus, it can cause problems. If they find that, they just cut it out. Hopefully, we do not have this problem.

4) Endocrine Problems - Thyroid, Prolactin, Diabetes. I will be having blood tests for these next week as well.

5) Balanced Translocation - We didn't go into depth talking about this. We know that I don't have it, because our third baby was normal. There would have been chromosomal issues if I had this.

The doctor told us that he doubts we will find anything else, but he didn't want to feel stupid if there was something else going on and he missed it. After these next few tests (the sonohysterogram and the endocrine problem blood tests) we will just be waiting. That is if they find no problems there. If they find no other problems, we will just be treating the MTHFR and Factor V Leiden before and during the next pregnancy. In a few weeks, I will start my prenatal vitamin and 4mg of folic acid again. Along with the baby aspirin that I take daily. He actually told me to stop taking my vitamins now, because that could be part of the reason I still have HCG in my system. Apparently it can slow down the process. This was news to me since after all three of my pregnancies, the OB had told me to keep taking my prenatal vitamins. Anyway, I will start all those again in a few weeks and we can try again after 3 cycles, which hopefully will be in January. When I get pregnant again we will have to start the progesterone suppositories and Lovenox or Heparin injections daily or twice daily depending on which one I take. WE HAVE A PLAN! I am glad we have a plan and hopefully we will have a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby someday soon.

No comments: