Sunday, March 1, 2009

Changing priorities

I guess it is time to change our priorities.

I never thought we would be to the point where having our own biological children might not be an option for us. I don't think that I have taken this in completely or that I will ever be able to.

We have decided to take a break. I don't know if this will make it easier or harder to get through the day, but we both agree it is a necessity right now. We have decided not to commit to a time line, since we don't know how we will feel in the future. I can say that we will definitely not be trying for a while. The last year and a half has taken more out of me than I ever knew existed in me. I feel like I am left with so much pain and emptiness that I need to build myself up before we could possibly be emotionally ready for another pregnancy. I am worried that I won't be able to handle "not trying." It is so hard to see all the pregnant women and new mom's around me and knowing that we are taking a break will be hard. I know that I could not handle losing another baby so taking a break is really our only option.

We are going to just take it one day at a time and change our priorities. I made a new list of goals this week and am hoping that focusing on these will help me through the next few months. I am going to start working out again once I am feeling physically better, get back to my healthy eating, run a 5k in May and maybe even a half marathon in the fall, spend more time with my husband and concentrate on our marriage, plant a garden, finish painting the inside of our house, finish our wedding scrapbook (3 years later), paint more, take a fun class, and lots of other home improvement projects.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been where you are and asked myself all of those questions. Continue? Take a break? Focus on other things? Look into adoption? It is so hard to face all of them and wonder what the answers should be. It sounds like you are making an awesome choice for you and your husband! You will know when you are ready to pursue whatever paths are in your future. You will be a mom someday--I'm sure you already are in your heart. I'll be thinking of you.

PS We haven't done a wedding album yet either!